Sunday, February 20, 2011

Run, Swim and Eat - A full day in Brooklyn


Today was all about two friends. Frank, a friend who I have been running with for 15 years and Bob Croce, a friend who I haven't seen since graduating Lafayette HS in 1977.

Anytime I have a chance to run a race in Brooklyn I like to do it. When I suggested the Cherry Tree 10 miler in January, Frank was eager to run it as well, so I put it on my schedule. This would be my 3rd Cherry Tree in 4 years. It is a well run race put on by the Prospect Park Track Club held exclusively in Prospect Park. It is 3 tough laps around the park which includes one long ass hill that seems to go on for 2 miles. Although the temps were in the 30's and the sun was shining, it was still windy and it seemed to be in our face for the whole race. Our plan was to take it easy and enjoy the run and the get together. We were running 8 minute miles so it wasn't too bad on the legs except the last hill was tough.

Both Frank and I were satisfied with our 1:20:15 finish time and it serves as a good tune up for me leading up to the NYC 1/2 marathon in March. After the run, Frank and I enjoyed really good Brooklyn bagels in the basement of Bishop Ford HS where the post race awards would be held. After a quick free massage I was off I went to event number 2 for the day.

Now Bob Croce and I use to pal around together back at Lafayette HS in Brooklyn in the mid 70's. We were good friends that once asked the same girl out for a date back in '76 (she chose him). After HS we went our separate ways, not to get in contact with each other until Facebook came into prominence. It is on FB that I saw he had a passion for taking a dip in the Atlantic in the months, November thru March aka the Coney Island Polar Bear club. He is a committed dipper and the club raises money for Camp Sunshine with the annual January 1st dip.

I didn't realize that they met every week at 1pm on Sundays regardless of the weather and conditions. Once we got talking online I decided to show up one Sunday to join him and catch up on old times. I did my first Polar Bear plunge on December 26th at Asbury Park in a blizzard, so I figured today's dip would not be so bad, boy was I wrong.

Maybe it was because I had too much time to think about the cold waters as I drove from the race to the beach. This group of Polar Bears are a hardy bunch and they look forward to their swim every week. Once the President of the club, Dennis Thomas, makes a short speech, he leads the charge, and off to the beach everyone goes.

We disrobe near the shoreline and in we go. These guys and gals don't just go in and come out, they frolic and play in 40 degree water. They all hold hands and circle to the left and right, waist deep in the Atlantic. There is another group of Polar Bears further out just hanging out catching up on last night's news. After about 60 seconds of holding hands I take my full body plunge which was numbing. I tried to stay a bit longer, but just couldn't do it. Meanwhile Bob and others spend 10 minutes in the ocean which I later found out was the norm every week. Ten minutes would have stopped my heart for sure. The cold water dip felt good for my tired legs and I am sure help the swelling, but it took me 15 minutes to get warm again.

Bob and I caught up on 30 plus years, chatting on the sun drenched boardwalk. It was great seeing him and I told him I will be back. While chatting he introduced me to a guy named Gary Atlas who was riding his bike on the boardwalk. Gary is a man after my own heart. He is 60 years old and has run the length of the Coney Island boardwalk and swam in the ocean for over 1200 straight days. The New York Times did a story on him in January and he is well known in the area. I just love these stories about folks who are dedicated.

The last event for the day was two Nathan Famous hot dogs for lunch. I have no desire to challenge Joey Chestnut for the hot dog eating contest, but I needed to enjoy a couple although I was heading to mom's for a Sunday Italian meal. I have to say the manicotti and veal Parmesan really hit the spot after a full day of activity.

I met some great people today who really show a passion for what they do. Life is not a spectator sport and these folks understand it fully.

Next up for me is the Ugly Mudder 7.25 run in Reading, PA which is another fun unique race.


1 comment:

  1. You became a little famous. Thanks for blogging about the Cherry Tree.

    http://pptcblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-cant-keep-up-all-people-blogging.html

    ReplyDelete