Wednesday, January 25, 2012

January 22 - Princeton Hash - set by Uncle Fester


I have only done a few Hashes in my running life but I have to say, Sunday's course set by Uncle Fester (Mark Strawn) was the best so far, at least for a novice. Why was it the best? It was long, somewhat challenging, some good trails, nothing real dangerous and it provided a good workout.



Along for the ride was HeyYoPaulie, EuroTrash, Runner girl and his dog Peanut, Brian, Steve & Horshak. The first
part of the hash took us through RU parking lots, bu
ildings, athletic fields, the Stadium, the golf course and mostly on asphalt. We also ran around the Cornelius Low House which is where we saw the BN (Beer Near) marking. We enjoyed a nice miller and continued on
the second part of journey.

The second half of the hash took us near the Johnson Park zoo, the horse track and into the woods. It was actually starting to get dark while in the woods and near the end of the hash it made me think of Bear Grylls and what I would need to survive if we got lost and couldn't see the markings. We got a bit off trail and
needed to really work to find the way back to the start. After about 15 minutes of searching for the right way, we saw an open gate which led us right back to the beginning. Total hash time was about 2 hours and we covered 7.3 miles.

We finished up by the house

where we started which is owned by the state. I think they bought it since it is right on route 18 and is now used for state work on the Route 18 Project. Looked kind of creepy. We had our apres hash there which included some more beer, chips and ribs I made for the finish.

The ribs didn't travel well in the cold but were appreciated by all. We were met there by Hosbewet (Mark's wife Ro) where she was happy not to be out in the cold.


Brian 

Most of the guys went back to Mark's house to watch the Giant game, while I hurried back home to make dinner for the family. I would have stayed but I had made fresh gnocchi and needed to prepare. I will make arrangements to stay the next hash I do.

If you have never hashed, you need to give it a try. It's completely different than a normal run and gives you a good workout while also
Post Hash food and refreshments
enjoying different terrains.

No comments:

Post a Comment