Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Freehold Area Running Club Winter Series 5K - 27:25

Every year I try to give myself a running goal, which helps me stay on track with the exercise. This year's goal is to run at least one race per month with someone who I haven't run with in the past. This could be somewhat of a challenge to encourage friends, family or new acquaintances to join me. Some folks get intimidated running with experienced runners for fear of holding them back or they feel they will run so slow they will com in last. I always say that the folks that come in last are the people who are still home on the couch.

Last week I was suppose to run the Stay Strong Brandon 5K with Sean Brady but he felt the snow was going to be a problem for him. I thought that was a smart move because it wasn't the best footing and if you are not used to it, you might take a spill. Sean has a goal of running a 5K a month for 2012 and if was to get hurt on the first race, it would have set him back. Sean called me up after the Stay Strong race and said I needed to find him a race the last week of January so he could keep his resolution.

I was planning on running the FARC winter series 5K on the 29th with a few other guys so it was perfect plus it was only $5. They run a good series and each race participant gets rewarded with a hot cup of chicken soup.

I met Mike W and the Senator there and introduced them to Sean. My plan was to run the race with Sean knowing we would be doing 10-12 minute miles. We got off to a good start and was running at a 12 minute clip when Sean needed to walk a bit right around the 1st mile. I walked with him for a bit then told him I would take off and then come back and finish the last 3/4 of mile pacing him.

Of course I had my camera with me and got some good shots of the Senator, Mike, Sean and Nova. In fact when I veered of the course just a bit to take a picture of Nova, a girl I was running near, thought I was going to cut the course. How dare she? I took a picture of her said I would blog about her which I am now doing.
The girl who thought I was going to cut course

I finished in 27:25 and Sean finished in 36:25. He said he felt great and this was just the start for him. After some soup and bagels, we hung around to watch Ken, Nova and Mike pick up their age group awards.



Nova Roman

The Senator pushing the pace



Mike W picks up his first place age group award
Sean already has his sights set on February.

No comments:

Post a Comment